So you’ve decided to set yourself on the path toward a straighter and healthier smile by undergoing orthodontic treatment. Wonderful! However, you may feel a bit nervous about the process and have some questions as well. That’s why at the practice of Dr. Carole Randolph, we are here to help! One of the first things that cause anxiety in a patient is whether or not braces hurt. Allow your Valencia orthodontist and providers of braces and Invisalign to help clarify this area of concern for you!
So Will Having Braces Hurt?
Thankfully, the answer to this question is a “no!” Having braces applied follows a simple process that goes as follows:
- First, your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and then dried.
- After that, the braces will be bonded onto your teeth.
- When the brackets have been applied to your teeth, the archwire will be inserted into the slots on the brackets.
It’s as simple and painless as that! However, while you won’t feel any pain, you may feel a bit of discomfort for a few days after your braces have either been placed or adjusted. This is because your teeth will be getting used to the pressure that the wires can place on your mouth.
What to Do If You Feel Discomfort
If you feel any discomfort during your orthodontic treatment (whether it’s from braces or Invisalign), we have a few tips that will help relieve any lingering soreness:
- Stick to eating soft foods for the first few days after your braces have been placed or adjusted. Some examples include mashed potatoes, applesauce, macaroni and cheese, and soup.
- Also, avoid any acidic drinks as they can aggravate any mouth sores that you may have.
- If a specific part of your braces is causing you discomfort, we recommend placing some orthodontic wax on it.
- Finally, if you’re still feeling uncomfortable, we recommend taking an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
Come Visit Your Valencia Orthodontist!
Interested in braces or Invisalign treatment of your own? We hope you’ll stop by and visit us sometime! To schedule an appointment with your Valencia orthodontist, you can give us a call at (661) 222-3000 or fill out our appointment request form. We can’t wait to see you!